Friday, October 9, 2015

Harvest Time


Everyday I have a little ways to walk into work because of the construction on campus. I don't mind, it's a nice "quiet time."

While walking in last week, I noticed a bad stench that smelled like rotting garbage and realized it was a group of plants that seemed to be dying. A closer look revealed that there were berries on the plants that were rotting and smelled like they were fermenting; the smell hijacked the serenity of my walk. In my disgust, I felt like the Lord was giving me a message.

"That's what unharvested fruit smells like."

That thought brought me to Matthew 9:37 | Luke 10:2:

"The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few."

There is a harvest of lost souls out there ready to receive salvation. The fruits are ripe and ready. But what happens to ripe fruit that does not get plucked from the tree? It rots, dies and it smells awful.

This smell hijacks our everyday life when these lost souls do unimaginable things to themselves and to others. When we do not walk in the calling God has given us, we allow the harvest meant for our reaping to rot. The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few.
This was a convicting thought. What am I doing for God's kingdom? How can I labor for the kingdom and reap a harvest?

When I received salvation, I did not invite the Lord into my life and ask him to join me on my journey. On the contrary, Christ taught me to lay down my wants, desires and dreams, and to pick up a cross, die to my flesh daily and follow Jesus Christ. While salvation is given freely, the process and calling on my life takes work. I live a life of faith in action. The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few.

By definition, laborers labor. We are called to work. There is so much work available in God's kingdom. There is a place and spot for you, God's beautiful child. You have a harvest waiting for you that only you can reap for the kingdom. You have talents and gifts that were specially given to you. You are a part of an intricate body and have a function that only you can complete.

So the next time you feel inadequate in your calling, gift and talent --- remember: The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few.

There is ripe fruit waiting to be harvested. Tis' the season!

#AWarriorsCry


No comments:

Post a Comment