Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Testimony Tuesday: A recipe for a peaceful mind

This week's contributor is coming at us from the happiest place on earth, Orlando! She is one of my closest friends who I met during my time in Florida. She, like me, has struggled with anxiety and I asked her to contribute to this series because of her experience as well as her knowledge in food! Please welcome Yaritza Reyes to this week's #TestimonyTuesday. 
 ____________________

 Hello everyone.
 I hope all finds you well.

 As I begin to write this blog, I must say I'm humbled to even be consider to partake in such an amazing series by A Warriors Cry. I have been blessed to have read and been impacted by the writing of the series regarding anxiety. The fact that it’s tackling something so intense and relevant excites me. It is a topic that gets little to no attention yet is devastating to many. Having struggled with anxiety for many years and never knowing what I was wrestling with made for extremely hard times. Learning what we're up against is only half the battle, we must know and truly understand the root of our problems before we can get better, and honestly, it may not get better for a long time.

 The Bible gives us beautiful inspirational verses like: "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1Peter 5:7

In the middle of an anxious storm, it’s extremely hard to wrap your mind around those very words. Its hard to wrap your mind around anything really. I found that in order to gain control, I had to be proactive with prayer, self-reflection and seek professional help as well. I sought out Pastoral guidance as well as professional therapy. I came to accept that I had no control over my anxiety and didn't realize I needed help until I acknowledged there was actually a problem. I knew I wanted OUT of this overcoming feeling. Getting "out" is really up to us.

There are many steps we can take in an effort to find peace. For me, it was seeking help and being proactive in my spiritual life a well as seeking help from professionals. Any and every effort helps, even down to what you eat.

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God." 1 Cor. 10:31

There are foods that can heighten our anxiety levels, such as coffee. In the same way, there are foods that can have a calming or soothing effect, like drinking lavender or chamomile tea. Having a well-balance diet can and will help you keep a clear mind and there are specific foods that can help us keep a sound mind. Simply snacking on walnuts (high in magnesium, iron and Omega 3), or adding flax seeds to your smoothies (which are also high in Magnesium, Iron, Zinc and Omega 3) or having a nice, warm cup of chamomile tea (one of my favorite teas to sip on) can be some great ways to incorporate foods that enhance mental health into your diet.

Our recipe for today includes a food that is high in B12, B6 and Omega 3 fatty acids, all things that are great “brain” food. I'm going to share an easy recipe for a delicious Salmon burger. Burgers are always a favorite, so why not make them into a healthy alternative?

Salmon is a beautiful fish. If you buy fresh cuts, you can certainly use the steak as is. I used the store-frozen salmon steaks, so I didn't feel bad putting them in a food processor. Whichever you decide to use, theses burgers are a hit!

This recipe yields four patties.

You will need:
  •  4 salmon steaks (defrosted)
  •  1 egg 
  •  1 lemon (the rind)
  •  1/2 Tbsp or fresh dill (chopped)
  •  2 garlic cloves 
  •  Salt and black pepper to taste
  •  1 avocado (sliced)
  •  4 burger buns or your choice 

Directions:

Put your salmon, egg, lemon rind, dill and garlic cloves into a food processor until everything is mixed evenly. Divide salmon mixture into 4 equal portions and then form them into patties. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on a preheated skillet on medium heat. Flip only once after three minutes on one side. Cook for three minutes on other side. Place on a toasted bun and garnish with the slices of avocado.

 Enjoy!

 -----------

Yartiza Reyes is a wife and mother who lives in Orlando, Fla., with her husband and two sons. She is a culinary arts graduate from Le Cordon Bleu in Orlando and has worked in various kitchens and with various chefs in the Orlando area. She is a lover of truth who is passionate about family, coffee, her two chihuahuas and the hit TV show The Office. You can read more of Yaritza's thoughts and find her recipes here: Salt of the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment