Friday, November 29, 2013

Thankful for the struggle

This Thanksgiving has lead me back to the place where it all began, my home.

I have so much to be thankful for. I am the luckiest most blessed woman on the planet and I can only give glory to God for all that I have. It would be nothing without Him in my life.

My life is not perfect. People may look at me and think that I have it all together and that I was brought up in the perfect household. While I had a good upbringing, good parents and an overall good life, it is not perfect; and regardless of the flaws that linger in my life (as well as in myself) I am thankful for the imperfections that keep me humble. I am thankful for the things I cannot have that help me appreciate those things that I do have and I am thankful that my life is far from perfect. The sense of perfection is a false one. There was only one perfect human being in this world, and that was Jesus Christ. While I strive and yearn to be more like Him on a daily basis, I am forever in a process, in need to work on some area of my life.

I am thankful for the broken relationships that have occurred because they have taught me to take responsibility for my actions and showed me who I can truly trust and who I can’t.

I am thankful for the person who refuses to forgive me because it teaches me to love unconditionally.

I am thankful for the discomfort that comes with moving to somewhere new because it forces me to purposely be intentional with relationships.

I am thankful for a new environment that gives me a chance to explore new things.

I am thankful for old friendships that remind me some things in life never change (and thank God for that).

I am thankful for unconditional love that has covered me with grace in times when I really didn’t deserve it.

I am thankful for a man who loves me despite my shortcomings.

I am thankful for a family that is always there for me, no matter what.

I am thankful for a church.

I am thankful for being in good health, which is priceless.

I am thankful for loneliness, as it has helped me grow closer to God.

I am thankful for music, as it has spoken for me in moments when I had lost my voice.

I am thankful for my musical talents that have expressed feelings I could not explain on my own.

I am thankful for a job.

I am thankful for wounds that turn into scars, a constant reminder to never try that again.

I am thankful for unanswered prayers, as they truly were petitions that were not for my benefit.

I am thankful for broken dreams, as they provide the motivation to build new ones.

I am thankful for false hopes, as they build endurance and discernment.

I am thankful for fallen friendships, as they teach me how to apologize.

I am thankful for the person who holds a grudge against me without ever coming to me to get the full-story, because they show me that I am important to them and to show them love.

I am thankful for the struggle, because it has taught me to toughen up and get thicker skin.

No matter how put-together a person seems, life is hard. It will beat us down if we allow it, and an attitude of gratitude is a sure therapy to help us remain positive regardless of how difficult things may be. There is always a lesson to be learned. There is always a positive way to look at your situation and there are always three sides to a story: your side, their side and the truth. Do not allow the negative to haunt you. Be thankful for it all, flaws and all. It is a great exercise to help you refocus your goals and see how God is truly working in your life to change your character to become more Christ-like.

What are some flaws/struggles you are thankful for? How are they helping you become more Christ-like? 

Would love to hear.


Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment