Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Devotional | Prayer for an overwhelmed heart



This is my prayer for you today, beautiful woman of God. This life brings too many overwhelming moments: deaths in families, sickness, let downs, economic struggles, marital problems, failures ... the list goes on. 

Is your heart overwhelmed? 

If you answered yes, there's hope for your heart. 

Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV): 

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

I don't know about you, but when I do things in my own strength I feel weary and burdened.

I feel overwhelmed. 

Even as a mature woman in the faith, I have yet to master the art of coming to my savior and giving total control to Him. I also fail to ask Him to lead me. My problem is, I am constantly battling to be in control, because living by faith is too hard, too risky, too scary, unstable, weird, unwise and uncomfortable.

But so is being overwhelmed. 

When we give up control to Christ, we are acknowledging that He is the rock that is higher than anything we could do in our own strength. (Psalm 61:2)

When we come to Christ, we also see His characteristics, from Matthew 11:28-30, bear fruit:

- You will get/find rest
- You will be more open to learning from Christ
- You will acknowledge and respond to Christ's gentle and humble heart
- You have an easier, lighter burden

You will not be overwhelmed.

Today, if you are feeling the heaviness of this life pressing down on you, pray this:

When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 

And allow yourself to be lead.

#GiveUpControl


No comments:

Post a Comment